Dmoz is the Internet’s largest directory system maintained by human editors. Google uses Dmoz results in it’s own directory so listing in Dmoz means getting good chances to have siteranks in Google.
Advantages of Dmoz :
- Better relevancy than non-human edited directories and search engines.
- Do not rank, promote or optimize sites, simply a data provider.
- Can take a long time to have your site reviewed.
Facts about Dmoz
- It is in partnership with AOL.
- Hosted and administered by Netscape Communication Corporation.
- Self-regulating community.
- Serves results for search engine Google.
- 4,533,456 sites – 85,756 editors – over 590,000 categories on 12 July 2010.
Becoming a Dmoz Editor
- Find a category that you would like to maintain.
- Click the Become an Editor link at the top of the category page.
- You will then have to find 2 or 3 sites to add to that category and explain your reasons why you wish to edit in that category.
Tips for submitting your site to Dmoz
- Submit your site to a relevant categories, otherwise your submission will be delayed.
- Submit your site only once
- Make sure your site has original content and isn’t a clone of other sites.
- Make sure your site is error free and the design layout is easy to use.
- Check for spelling and general mistakes on your site.