- Files is new way to store file in Salesforce
- Content from external file service like Google, Box appears in Files
- Files from Content Library displayed in file
- CRM Content Library cannot be created in Lightning experience yet
- Attachment and Files are two different objects, so two different related lists.
- Attachment can be viewed in Lightning in Notes & Attachment related list
- Attachments cannot be created in Lightning Experience, we should not use Attachments in future
- To migrate existing Attachment to Files, use this AppExchange from Salesforce Labs
- Document tab is not available in Lightning Experience
- Documents should be replaced by File
- Files yet does not support being used as attachment in Email Templates. If you are using Document in Email template, then keep it in Document
- CRM Content delivery not available in Lightning but File can be shared with external user using Link
- External user can only view or download file but cannot edit or update
- File supports versioning
- File can be related with multiple records.
- File supports granular level sharing. It would be shared with anyone who has access to parent record. If you want to share with broad audience, it can be shared on chatter.